November 26, 2010-present weight loss




2012 weight loss



Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Reality Check

Today has really brought me back to reality.  I am more aware of how much more weight I have yet to lose.  First, I had the gym situation- I am still the biggest woman there and some of the trainers seem to think I am an easy target for unloading ridiculous training sessions.  Then I went to a golf lesson this afternoon.  This is my first ever lesson at this school and my first lesson years.  The instructor asked me to warm up by hitting a few balls and left the room while I did so.  He had a camera running to film my swing from behind.  After a few minutes he came back and asked me to watch the video with him.  Yikes- I cringed. I looked gigantic- like I was 5'3" and over 300lbs!  I looked at least as big as I did before surgery.  It didn't help that I was wearing a shirt that I have worn since my heaviest weight and that the pants (from my Italy trip) are pretty baggy as well.  I know that I am significantly smaller than I was pre-surgery, but oh boy.  I am still miles away from where I need to be.  This really threw me for a loop.

7 comments:

Dawnya said...

Nora,
I'm going to tell you like my friends told me. Get rid of those baggy clothes. They almost make it look like all our work was in vain. I still have them. Hiding in the back of the cloest. But I won't wear them anymore.

You are going to be one sexy golfing lady.

Liz said...

What Dawnya said!!! I finally got rid of the pants I have been wearing to work since before surgery and all of a sudden, comments are coming out of the woodwork. The pants made me look like a clown. I may not be skinny yet, but well fitting clothing, no matter WHAT size you are, make you look soo much better than poorly fitting clothing.

Beth Ann said...

I third their comments. Get some clothes that fit. They don't have to be expensive...just the right size! :)

Also, it is all about perspective. We all have moments where we get down on ourselves for something or other. But in the end, what is truly important is how far you have come and how you are continuing to go in the right direction!

Cece said...

Nora, before I even read your post your ticker caught my eye and I thought - oh, I must comment that she has lost 1/2 of her weight !! Then you go on to write about this vision of yourself. Stop right there - you have lost 1/2 of the weight you want to loose ! This is huge ... you are not!

Sarah G said...

As Cece said, you are half way there! Don't lose sight of that fact! And as the other ladies said, get some clothes that fit!

MandaPanda said...

Don't lose sight of how far you've come! And yes, the baggy clothes make you look even bigger than you were. I've been slow to do much shopping but it got to the point where my baggy clothes were just so unflattering that I couldn't take it anymore.

Melissa Wolf said...

Oh Nora, I SO know that feeling. It usually strikes when you're feeling pretty damn good about yourself too, feel like you're looking better and then WHAM you see a photo or video and just feel defeated and depressed. But here's the thing: DON'T BELIEVE those images. They're just messing with your head. Everything you are doing is REAL, the smaller sizes, the number dropping on the scale, the way you look (gorgeous, by the way!) -- that is the only thing that is real and that matters. Just chalk up those "trickster images" as weight loss demons playing tricks on you. IGNORE IT and move forward, sister!